Winter is the season of Christmas, Kwanzaa, New years, Valentines day and many more! But it is also the season of dry stiff faces, flaky hands, and crusty lips. Ew. No thanks.
After tons of research and some HORRIBLE trials and errors, I finally found my most favorite winter, natural and organic, skincare products that I can now never go without ever again!!!! So here I am, offering my secrets to you. You're welcome. Read more to find out what my new skincare favorites are!
1) BEST FACE MASK EVER!!!!!
Now a days, face masks are all the rage and I'd say more so in the winter. Because of how the winter air tends to dry out our skin within minutes, we are all looking for the best, natural way to hold in moisture. Well, if you don't already know, I'm an EXTREME skincare nerd and I'm constantly looking up DIY's for natural skincare remedies and I can honestly say almost all of the concoctions I've tried were SHIT! All of these beauty bloggers sure have a way of making all of these oatmeal-egg-sugar masks look like the best thing since sliced bread. Well, after constant trial and error and not giving up, I found THE BEST thing that i could ever do for my skin!!! The answer is..... Manuka frikin Honey!
The benefits of Manuka Honey is endless but I'll just focus of the skincare benefits (but you should totally google the other benefits of this honey). I especially love this as a mask because you can literally use it as often as you want. I use it almost everyday after washing my face, but before starting my skincare routine. All you do is put the honey on a slightly damp face, moving in a circular motion. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and rinse it off and voila!
When purchasing this honey, you want to make sure that it has a KFactor of 15 or above, is raw, unpasteurized, non GMO, organic and says "product of New Zealand" on it.
SOME SKINCARE BENEFITS OF MANUKA HONEY
- Acne: Honey is a natural antibacterial so it is amazing for preventing pimples and even used as a spot treatment! To use it as a spot treatment, just put a little bit on your problem areas and sleep in it. When you wake up, you'll be amazed at how calm your spots and skin are.
- Complexion: This honey unclogs pores and is SOOOOOO soothing and moisturizing leaving your skin super soft and radiant.
- Aging: Manuka Honey is filled with antioxidants so it helps slows down the appearance of aging.
2) THE A1 FACIAL OIL
Facial oils are coming into the light this year and I could not be happier about it!!!! The crazy benefits of the different natural oils for the face go on and on and on. The only downside is, it's so hard to find which one is the best for YOUR skin. I've tried more oils for my face than I can count and never fell in love with any of them until I found this baby right here. Rosehip Oil... Yes betch come to mama!!!!
This stuff is SUPER absorbent and it is a "dry oil" which only means it is a very light, non greasy oil that is quickly absorbed. The thing about a lot of oils that I've tested was that I just hated feeling and knowing that there was something greasy and thick on top of my skin. It made me cringe and also clogged my pores like crazy. Rosehip Oil doesn't do that. It quickly and effortlessly moisturizes and nourishes the skin.
Rosehip Oil is an extraction of the seeds of rosebushes. It is filled with nourishing agents and vitamins that your skin craves such as, essential fatty acids, vitamin C, vitamin A and vitamin E. Please make sure the oil is organic and cold pressed if you plan on getting it!
After applying my moisturizer, I put 3-4 drops on my hands and pat it on my face. That's it! I use this day and night. At night, I apply it over my night cream after it dries. Rosehip oil has so many benefits but I'll just name a few!
SOME SKINCARE BENEFITS OF ROSEHIP OIL
- Acne: A lot of the time acne occurs from dehydrated skin which causes the skin to produce more oil that builds up due to loss of fluid. Rosehip oil's super nourishing effect protects acne prone skin and keeps the facial cells free from blockages.
- Complexion: The vitamin C stimulates collagen production and vitamin A combined with the oils essential fatty acids improves skin tone and pigmentation.
- Aging: Anti-aging is due to this oils antioxidants and ability to penetrate into deeper layers of the skin. The vitamin C and A improves the skins moisture levels, reduces wrinkles and fine lines and improves skin texture.
- Premature Aging: The antioxidants combats free radicals that cause premature aging such as sun spots, wrinkles and discoloration.
- Scar treatment: The essential fatty acids can reduce scarring and promote skin regeneration.
3) FIX YO LIPS
Well I'm sure we both know about chap stick! Especially in the winter. No matter the amount of water you drink, amounts of chap stick you use, you just cant seem to get your lips back to their soft, milky state that you know and love. As much as I'm sure you know about chap stick, I'm also sure that the people who know me, know my 3 year old daughter, Lilly, is OBSESSED with anything that goes on her lips. I'm perfectly fine with that! But not knowing exactly what is in all of these lip products is what bothers me. Because shes only 3, of course she has to experiment with everything and taste it first... Well! I came up with my own chap stick recipe that wont poison my daughter if she tastes it, and keeps my lips silky smooth and hydrated all winter long!
This is the best chap stick I've ever used so I just have to share this recipe with you! I always have this on hand. I recently lost my original so I had to frantically make a new batch which thank God, is so super simple to do. I love this because it triples as a nice moisturizer for my hands and a nice natural highlighter that I like to put on my cheekbones.
HOMEMADE, ORGANIC, CHAP STICK DIRECTIONS
What you'll need:
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon beeswax pellets
- oil for taste or smell (optional) such as peppermint
- double boiler (or a pot and small glass bowl if you don't have one)
- lipstick or chap stick tube
- funnel (if you have one)
What to do:
- combine coconut oil and beeswax into a bowl
- fill a pot with a small amount of water and put a small class bowl in the middle of the pot
- put the beeswax and coconut oil into the small glass bowl in the middle of the pot when water boils. stirring constantly. (make sure you're not using too much water in the pot because you don't want any water getting in the bowl with the beeswax and coconut oil when the water boils)
- when it is all melted, remove pot from heat but keep the bowl of contents in the put with the hot water because it hardens quickly
- add oil of your choice for smell or taste if you decide to do so. I didn't add any because I like to use this as a moisturizer for my hands and a highlighter for my cheekbones so I didn't want a smell. But I did use cinnamon which is the reason for the off white color and little brown specks. I like using cinnamon because it is good for the skin and it feels like a gentle exfoliator on my lips.
- pour the melted beeswax and coconut oil into an old, clean lipstick or chap stick tube
- leave it out on your counter to harden before putting on the cap or using
YOUR SKIN IS NOW WINTER READY!
My homemade chap stick, Rosehip Oil and Manuka Honey are just some of my favorite skincare hacks for this winter that works wonders on my skin! I hope you choose to try them and they bring as much joy and beauty as it does for me! Thanks for reading! Love yoooouuuu!!!
If you have any questions or use/tried any of these things I mentioned, leave a comment! Or if you know anyone this may help or would enjoy this, please share!!!
Love, Emily & Lilly 🙂